Saturday, June 25, 2011

Awe & Inspiration

I've been surfing for and reading artists' blogs for quite some time. I'm inspired by the way these comic/graphic novelists direct their characters on the page and with how fearless they seem to be in their creation. To MEET and visit with them is awe inspiring! 

I visited with Kazu Kibuishi (author and artist of Amulet and Copper) about his process, and I thanked him for the tutorial he has up on Bolt City as it was so helpful to me as a beginning digital artist. He asked to see my book, and he complimented my artwork, saying that having good sensibilities was essential and to keep creating. :) I liked looking over his Amulet series and the beginnings of an iPad app that should launch toward fall.

I then met Chad Thomas, an awesome artist who works on Mega Man comics and Young Salem comics. It was cool watching him sketch a picture for my daughter and to hear about how he got started. When he got out his Pitt pen I noted that I used the same, and we both agreed on their reliability and smoothness. Secretly I was happy to note that the pens I use are the "real deal"... Kinda silly, but it's nice to feel validated!

Next was Chris Schweizer. He had his "Sketchbooks" book for sale in which he took a great time inking a picture in the cover. I found out about some neat materials and that though he has trained at a school of design (where he also teaches now), he believes it is never too late in life to start creating and that I should just keep sketching and experimenting. His book outlines his process, and I'm excited to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment