Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Elementary Presentation: Make a Mark!

The Plover from A Monster in My Sock
Speaking at an elementary is always a blast. It's great to get to interact with the kids and answer all kinds of questions; everything from "Why do you wear a green belt?" to "What inspires you?" The most-asked question today was, "Where do I get THAT?!" They were referring to GIMP.

Sketch colored in GIMP
I was able to work in time to show them how I use the program GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) to create and manipulate images. Since it is a free program, it is what I could afford and what I used to create both of my children's books. It is overwhelming at first, but there are tutorials online and an online user's guide.  And it's not just for adults--three kids came up to me to talk about what they have done in GIMP. You can create images directly into GIMP, or you can scan in images and color them. You can also manipulate photos. It's a powerful tool that I am STILL learning more about each time I use it!

I'm hoping that I inspired some kids to get out there, keep a sketchbook, and make their mark. Go here to get your copy of GIMP, access help files and even some tutorials!


2 comments:

  1. Great job! I'm sure you were a big hit with the kids...love browsing through your art!! Such talent and creativity :). I am going to have to check out this GIMP program and see what it does. I still think you should sell your art creations, I would definitely buy them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'll have to set that up!

    ReplyDelete